Monday, September 20, 2010

Ancient Landscapes

Made the most of the Saturday morning sunshine this weekend, and went for a wander in Wiltshire's ancient landscapes, in around Avebury stone circle.Unless you're in the air, it's impossible to get a good picture of the whole circle as it's so vast and the road and village run through the centre too!But I love the fact that you can get right up and commune with the stones. I never tire of visiting, you always see something different in the stones, depending on the time of year and the light.Not too far away from the stone circle is Silbury Hill, you can get up pretty close, but this shot is taken across the way from West Kennet Long Barrow.The burial mound is on top of another ridge and there is a short walk to get there, but just look what a glorious day I had to do it on.This shot is taken from a little way back and you can see the impressive sarsen stones which make up the entrance to the barrow.The barrow has been excavated and you can get part way inside, it can be a little dark, but there was some fabulous light pouring in on Saturday.I love living so close to these ancient wonders, and am sure they will crop up in future blog posts from time to time as I never tire of visiting. Cute Potatoe made the visit with me this time and you can read about her ancient adventure here if you so wish

2 comments:

coral-seas said...

I can't remember when I last visited Avebury. Many, many, many years ago. Onto my list of things to do :-)

Unknown said...

these make me think of the Outlander books.....they would go back thru time using the runes....cool...