Saturday, March 01, 2008

Take It Further - Rags and Bones

Well I've been AWOL for the last few days what with MIL duties, car trouble and frantically trying to finished my TIF project I haven't had time to blog. But here we are just one day late my February project is done.
Last month I chose to work purely on the colour scheme but Feb's colour palette didn't really appeal. Instead I stuck with the concept, What are you old enough to remember? As with the January challenge an idea just popped into my head and I ran with it. I was born in 1976 and one of the earliest things that I can remember is the sound of the Rag and Bone man clip clopping down the road with his horse and cart ringing his bell and shouting. So I have made a mixed media doll using rag and bone as the inspiration.
I took some pictures along the way so thought it might be fun to share with you how my doll was 'born'.
First off I picked some fabrics

And then using some Fimo clay I made some body parts :)

Back to the fabric for more body parts

A skeleton emerges from all the parts. So that's the bones done .......

Now it's time for some rags. A once pretty dress ......


... is starting to show the signs of a street urchins life.

A girl is emerging, but even a skeleton needs some features right?

Some hair in the making... I picked some more felted yarn from my stash. I figured a street urchin would probably not have a hair brush to hand and I thought this yarn would give a matted unbrushed look, plus it's in my favourite orangey colours, so who could resist.

I read here, that some rag and bone men used to hand out balloons to children who bought them enough rags. So here is my girl with with her prize balloon... I guess some people might think she's macabre but that isn't my intention. I'm hoping she's more corpse bride than the exorcist but I guess it will depend on the individual point of view.

Just like last month she is looking for a name, if you have any suggestions please leave a comment. There will be a prize if I pick a name from your ideas.

8 comments:

jacqui said...

I love your doll, she is beautiful with unsure shy smile.

Why not called her Harriet in honor the character 'Harold" play Harry H Corbett in Steptoe and Son, the most famous Rag and Bone team in the UK.

Sue in western Washington, USA said...

She could be known as Rose, short for Faded Rose.

I think she's wonderful :- )

kay susan said...

Oh she's a cracker! Love the dress and those bead joints. After perusing your post and reading the comments, I thought of the Helen Reddy song, Delta Dawn.

Doreen G said...

I love the doll and the process as to how you got there and my chosen name would be Esmerelda.

StegArt said...

She's great! Okay, I've come up with a name...it probably sounds silly, but if I use the word 'rag' and the first three letters from 'bones' I came up with Raggedy Bonnie.

McIrish Annie said...

Boy you made me feel old! I graduated from HS in 1976! Your rag and bones girl is adorable!

Vivian said...

Sad eyes! Thanks for posting the process.

Melinda Cornish said...

She is cool! Love your imagination! Melinda