Friday, April 02, 2010

Postcards from Brownsea - Island Scenes

After staying the night in the lovely Bankes Arms there was time for a trip to Brownsea Island, one of my favourite places. I don't think I'll ever tire of visiting.
A short boat ride from Sandbanks takes you to the island. Even though it was windy and threatening rain braved the upper deck of the boat and sat outside for the crossing. The shot above shows the island shrouded in mist as we approached!
Brownsea is a wonderful place to while away a peaceful day. It has lots to offer and many different types of landscapes to explore, woodland, beaches and heathland. The above shot is of the island's church, which still holds regular services.
The island is now managed by The National Trust but it used to be privately owned and at various points in the past was farmed and was home to a pottery. By the visitor centre you can see a collection of some of the old farming paraphernalia. I loved this old Hay Cart.
One of my favourite places to hang out for a while on the island is by the Lily Pond. Such a tranquil place to be. It was extra quiet on this visit, I think the weather had kept a lot of other day trippers away only saw a handful of other people all day. Some of the island has been given over to the management of Dorset Wildlife Trust, and you can have a wander round their Nature Reserve and watch the many seabirds that visit the island during the different seasons. There is a new totem pole at the entrance to the reserve with this handsome looking cormorant sat on top.
The nature reserve is also home to one of my favourite things on the island. 'Sid' the beat up old tractor, he looks just a little more down in the dumps and ever cuter each time I visit.
After a days wandering, here are my new boots taking a well earned rest :)
Getting on the boat ready to be taken off the island at the end of the day, I thought the boat wheel and the captains chair might make a good photo. Didn't quite get the shot I wanted, and I'm going to blame the wonkiness on the fact that the wind had gotten up and the boat was lurching around in the harbour. That's my excuse for poor photography and I'm sticking to it :)

I'll be posting more from Brownsea soon.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

Lot's of inspiration just from the one photo of Sid!