Saturday, January 13, 2007

Spirit Doll

Before I start this post I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who left such kind and encouraging comments on my last post. I had been feeling really apprehensive about these cards and now I'm confident that they will be liked by their recipients so thank you all for the encouragement!

I recently joined the Beaded Art Dolls yahoo group just in time for their launch of a whole new bunch of round robins. After making my beaded tree spirit via a Ronda Kivett online class I have been wanting to do more beading so thought making a commitment to a RR (ok so I signed up for 2, yes I am a glutton for punishment!) would be the perfect way to make sure I got some beading done this year.

The first group I joined is for an elements doll. Basically you chose to make a doll based around one or all of the four elements, earth, air, fire or water. I wanted to try and come up with something that would reflect all four elements and it struck me to make a pyramid doll form, with one side reflecting each element. There are 6 people in the round robin so I have left the doll form pretty much naked so there is room for everyone to add to it. I didn't get time to go to the craft superstore so had to make do with a pack of felts designed for kids craft so the colours are a little bold, lol! It will be fun to see what the doll looks like when she comes back from here travels.

This is the first time I have constructed a 3D form without the aid of a pattern and I know it's only a simple shape but I'm pleased with the way it came out for a first attempt!

3 comments:

Purple Missus said...

Good idea you had with the pyramid shapes. Will be interesting to see what they look like on their return.

Anonymous said...

I really like the pyramid shape. These will be really cool when they're done with their journey.

Helen in the UK said...

I think the pyramid is a GREAT idea - clever you. I think the starting colours are absolutely fine - after all once they are beaded all over you might not see much of them and the colours fit each theme so why worry :) How tall is it?