Thursday, April 13, 2006

Fairy seed packet

The FGM group are running a fun swap at the moment called Fairy Seed packets. The idea is to make a 4" x 6" packet showing some fantasy seeds.

Here is the first packet I've made called 'Fairy dust flowers'. The idea is that these seeds would help you attract fairies to your garden. You plant them, wait for them to grow and watch the fairies as they come to collect the fairy dust pollen that the flowers produce.

As I'm not great at drawing I found a royalty free image of a fairy on the internet. Traced it onto fabric and then used acrylic paints to colour the image. I chose acrylics rather than fabric paints really just as a matter of convienience as I have more colours in acrylics. I actually found that the acrylics seem to dry a lot quicker than fabric paints and there is less bleeding so you can get on and paint a lot faster.

Having said that it took me a lot longer than I thought to paint the image given that it is only about 4" x 4" close to an hour all told. I am pleased with the way that its turned out though. I attached a flower bead to the fairy's hair and stitched her down to the background fabric with silver thread to give her a bit of sparkle, and also added so gold glitter to the centre of the flowers to represent the fairy dust. I need to make at least 5 seed packets for the swap (more if I want to make copies for myself too). I had hoped to use 5 different designs, but if the other designs I'm thinking on don't work then I will just make another few of these as I think this one turned out pretty good.

1 comment:

AliKat (WOTFGM's) said...

Great work Angela, not sure where you find the time for all this but I am sure glad you do and that you share them because I get such joy seeing what you have been up to.

X