After an hour or so at the machine last night my goddesses are finished. I really love how these cards came out. After doing so much cross stitch recently and with the regimented stitching that involves it has been really refreshing to put something together a little more organically.
I have 4 swap partners in this one so thought I would loosely go with an elements theme, though not keen to come up with something for Air I decided to wuss out and choose forest instead.
I decided to go with the scrap boxes again, and thought I'd use some of the smallest pieces I could find to do a bit of weaving.
Having never done any before I have no idea what the proper methods for weaving are, but I was constructing these backgrounds mainly whilst sat in the car waiting for dh to come out of work (we share a lift to work and I finish a bit earlier than he does so always have a slight wait sat in the car) a lot of pinning was involved in my method so the strips didn't come apart on my lap on in the moving car, lol!After my strips were weaved together I machine stitched a random wavy pattern over them to secure them down. I wasn't too precious about this and it ended up that some of the interfacing was showing through in places where the stripes moved or weren't ripped straight but I decided to leave this as it was as theme of the cards lend themselves to a bit of imperfection! Then it was time to add my goddesses and get the needle and thread out.I had lots of fun stitching some text, I've never tried this before and I was really impressed at how well the words came out, this is definitely something I will play with more in the future. Goddess of the Forest
Water GoddessEarth Goddess