Saturday, September 01, 2007

Feathers and Dolls

Ok here is what I have been up to this last couple of days. More postcards I'm afraid. I still have quite a long list of postcard swaps to catch up on but slowly the list is getting shorter yipee! I was doing really well keeping up to date at the start of the year before Dad's op but it only took that couple of weeks for things to get out of kilter and I'm still struggling to catch up.

Both of these sets of cards are for ARTSnTHEMAIL swaps. First up feathers. When I first signed up for this swap I had grand ideas of embroidering some beautiful feathers but after a couple of tried attempts which looked nothing like elegant feathers I gave up on that one, lol! Instead I decided to keep it simple and just cover my card in craft feathers. Ok so this may not be the most artistic card I ever made, but it feels beautifully soft to touch and for a while my creative space was like a whimsical fairie land with bits of feather floating around everywhere.

Next theme is Something beginning with D. I had a few different ideas before remembering a beautiful mermaid rubber stamp that I bought from Patti Culea's collection. Now you might be thinking what has a mermaid to do with the letter D. Well nothing really but the idea of the stamp is to help you create a wonderful paper doll which seems to be all the rage in the papercrafting world at the moment so D is for Doll. Boy did these little mermaid's take me an age to stamp, colour and stitch but I'm really pleased with the way they turned out.(The stitching detail shows up better if you click on the picture for a larger image). It was an enjoyable afternoon sat at my machine with the Marie Antoinette DVD playing in the background. (If you haven't seen this movie it's worth watching for the beautiful costumes and sets if nothing else). Anyway I hope that my swap partners don't mind the fact that the mermaids don't strictly fit into the 6" x 4" format. I think it gives the cards an added bit of fun.

Today Mark and I are off to the Dorset Steam Rally as Mark is itching to do some photography so far the sun has been shining this morning so hopefully it will be a great day.

1 comment:

arlee said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Love her!!!!