Thursday, February 28, 2013

Stitchy reads

This week seems to be passing by in a blur. Work is so busy I don't really have any energy or enthusiasm for much when I get home, which is a shame when there is so much unpacking and decorating still to do!! 

Mostly I've been reading.  I go through phases with my reading, one minute I'm a total book worm and then all of a sudden it can be months between reads.  I'll read just about anything but my preference is for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror and Historical.  Every now and then though I pick something off the shelf 'just because'.

The book below was one of those choices.  I picked it up in a local charity shop for the bargain price of 30p.  With the tag line 'when life unravels ..... start stitching' I couldn't resist.
I'm not quite finished the book yet, but it's quite an entertaining read.  Nothing too deep or taxing on the brain, but something that's good enough to pick up and distract you for a while when you're too tired to do much else.  But it has got me thinking ..... Do any of you out there know of any other reads that have stitch or craft woven in to the storyline?  I'd love to read some more.
As well as reading I've been enjoying these lovely flowers and lots of cards from my wonderful family and friends wishing me well in my new home.  Totally feeling the love.  I'm grateful everyday to have so many thoughtful and caring people in my life.  It's not hard to make sure that you show people you care about that they are valued and appreciated and not taken for granted.  We should all really do more of it  :)

6 comments:

coral-seas said...

I used to be a prolific reader but then did not read much for several years. When someone started a book club at work, I joined and have been reading a lot this past year. We've covered a wide spectrum of reading matter in the book club but my favourite books are historical novels. I've recently read 'The Other Queen' by Phillipa Gregory about Mary Queen of Scots and Bess of Hardwick, two renouned needle women. The book is not really about their needlework but it does feature.

Anonymous said...

A lot of times we think of things to say to someone but never do. Lately I have just been acting upon it. You never now when a simple compliment is going to be the thing to boost someones day.
~Dawn

Kucki68 said...

Have you read Monica Ferris cozy mysteries? The sleuth runs a Needlecraft store.

Unknown said...

It can be so draining when your work makes you feel like you can't get anything done! Just wake up on your weekend and go for one of those photo walks you take and I bet you will feel a bit more energized...after all there is always an afternoon nap ;) Glad to see you are starting to settle in.

Kathleen said...

Quilt related: books by Jennifer Chiaverini. "The Quilter's Apprentice" is the first in a long series.

"The Shop on Blossom Street" by Macomber

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

One of my favourite books is Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace which is a reselling about a woman who was convicted of murder in Canada. She was a highly accomplished quilter and continued to quilt in prison. The chapters have names of quilt blocks.