Friday, February 19, 2010

A walk on the Beach

On Sunday I took a trip to the beach. It's been a few months since I've visited the coast so some sea air was well past due. Went for a lovely walk on the Downs at Brean. It was an alternating mix of blue and grey skies.
Here is a view from the Downs across to Birnbeck Pier at Weston Super Mare. As you can see this was the blue skies part of the day.
At the end of the Downs is a Fort originally built in the 1860s, as worries about the strength of the French Naval Fleet grew. It was refortified during the second world war and became the testing site for several 'secret weapons'. This is one of the ruined buildings of the fort. The light was a lot nicer than shown in this shot (still haven't gotten round to reading the manual for the new camera, lol). I also loved this rusty window frame, but it's position made it difficult to get a shot of it in all it's rusty glory.

This next shot shows I needn't have been worried about my bad hair morning the other day. A few hours in a sea breeze makes morning hair look tame :)Before leaving we had a quick stroll down the beach and watched the start of a lovely sunset. The colours were again beautiful, and again my photography was less than adequate. I have to admit that I didn't take the camera out of auto focus mode all day and I was freezing cold by the time the sun was setting (made worse by the giant but very delicious ice cream I'd eaten moments before, lol) so really didn't take the care required to get a nice shot. This one is the best of the bunch.It's way darker than what we actually saw. But lesson learned, more time and effort will be put in next time :)

No comments: