Saturday, February 13, 2010

Blowing in the Wind

We've had all weathers this week, from snowflakes to sunshine. The greenman has a smile on his face though a sure sign that spring is on the way. I also love the aging effect that the winter with all its wind and snow has had on the pig wind chimes.I took advantage of a couple of hours of blue skies and sunshine the other day to finish the dyeing that I started the other day.
It was great to see the fabrics on the line, dancing a merry dance in the breeze. As you can probably figure out I had a play with blues and pinks this time. Then to use up the last of the cotton I tried a piece in brown. This came out pretty dark in places, but some interesting colour variations I think. I also found a box of black dye in the cupboard that hadn't even been opened so for fun had a play with this too.
When it first came out of the microwave I didn't like it, but it's growing on me. I'm really surprised at the colour variations as I didn't mix anything up this is purely from the black dye powder, there are browns, greys, blues and blacks in here. I'm starting to see stormy skies in this piece.

We're just about half way through February and I'm also just about half way through my to do list. hopefully I can keep this up :)

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love the next to last one!

Jane said...

Oh, I agree, the brown has turned out really well, so interesting. Well done on getting through half your to do list, not bad considering the other things you've been doing. It's going to be a very productive month

Cheryl said...

Thanks for your kind words on my "Sad No More" quilt. It is certainly bright! I also really like your brown dyed piece. I'm going to do my first snow dying in a few weeks and am excited!